I’ve been exploring the idea of church lately. What is it? What is it not? There are some things that I am sure the church is not. I am tired of seeing the purposes of God being hindered because the church is being used by men to be what God never intended it to be.
- The Church is not a building so quit putting most of your resources in it.
- The Church is not a corporation and the Pastor is not the CEO.
- The Church is not an institution. Church traditions don’t mean anything unless they are solidly founded in the scriptures.
- The Church is not the Pastor’s vehicle to get people involved in “his vision.” You mega church pastors who think this, repent. You house church pastors who think this and want to use the people in your church to become a bigger church…repent.
- The Church is not an arm of the State and should not be engaged in promoting nationalistic agendas
- The Church is not an arm of any political party and should not be endorsing, openly or under the table any political candidate.
- The Church isn’t the property of the leadership. Leadership does not own God’s people.
- The Church is not a shopping mall for Spiritual services.
I know some who read this will think I’m being hard on Pastors and leadership. It’s true, I am. I don’t think they necessarily started thinking about the church they lead in these ways, but it appears in the Western Church that’s where they end up.
They will stand before God and answer for good or ill about how they shepherd the people that God has brought into the congregation.
What do you think?